We value the importance of and benefits of ensuring our pupils remain physically active during this period in time. Unlike many local independent schools, Sport did not stop in the Senior School simply because schools were closed. Now in the Autumn Term, as schools have reopened, the girls have never been more eager to get out and play competitively.
There is no doubt that PE lessons have changed, however our PE theory lessons are focused on delivering a Olympic themed research project across Years 7 – 10; for example Year 10 are currently looking at methods of making the Olympics more environmentally friendly to reduce carbon emissions.
Learning how the theoretical side of exercise weaves in with practical side, sees staff setting physical training, fitness-based testing and goal setting. Pupils are offered the opportunity to engage in sport specific challenges, assigned to them in lessons or posted on Stream channels and Twitter. Co-curricular Team meetings are taking place to continue the camaraderie amongst our team sports and weekly physical activity is being tracked through our ACTIVate remote learning programme to allow House points to accrue.
Specific challenges have been set by the head of each sport:
- Team Rowing has distributed ergos to pupils in Year 10 upwards and our rowers are working on bespoke training programmes.
- There are seven days of football challenges available on Twitter and weekly ‘Friday Skills School.’
- Team Gymnastics are providing beginner, intermediate and advanced challenges every Thursday to join in with.
- Four weeks of daily hockey challenges are available on Twitter.
- Team Netball are providing challenges every Tuesday and Thursday that can be accessed on Twitter. The Surbiton High ‘Over to You’ Netball Challenge is also taking place on Twitter.
- The rowers have year group training programmes for U15s upwards set by the lead coach, with other fun and flexible challenges for younger members of the Rowing Club.
- A ski specific fitness programme is available for ski club members.
- Tennis – support programme and mentoring for high performance tennis players to help keep them on track.