This past year has seen challenging and changing times for our young pupils, leading to an inevitable impact on their education. At Surbiton High School, we have always strived to ensure a fair process for all applicants, from all backgrounds and all schools. This year, it is even more appropriate that we consider the well-being of those pupils interested in sitting the Entrance Exam for Surbiton High School for September 2022 entry.
We are currently finalising the details for our Entrance Exam, ensuring fairness to all. We have decided to move the examination date to the Saturday 27 November for 2022 entry. This is to allow for a two-stage process for the Entrance Examination, with an interview forming the second stage for those who have passed the Entrance Exam.
We believe the most appropriate course of action for our registered pupils is to have consistency and as such, we have chosen to remain with our Maths and English papers. Our Maths and English papers are designed to test National Curriculum content from Year 5 and the start of Year 6. These papers have been modified to support pupils during their disrupted Year 5 learning.
Further to the Entrance Exam, the admissions process for 2022 entry will include an interview. This will enable us to get to know your daughter better and will consist of a short, friendly conversation with Senior School Staff, providing an opportunity to discuss candidates’ motivations for joining Surbiton High School and their wider interests and hobbies, as well as the opportunity to engage in some friendly academic discussion. Your daughter does not need to prepare for the interview. The interviews will take place at the School in early January and will be offered to those pupils who have been shortlisted from the Entrance Exam.
Our key priority remains the welfare of our pupils, staff and prospective families and as such, we have compiled Maths and English guidance for pupils and parents to support those registered pupils where school closures have provided a significant impact on learning. These will be sent out once we have confirmed your registration.
ADMISSIONS PROCESS FOR 2022 ENTRY
In order to register your daughter, please follow the steps below:
- Applications for those wishing to apply for a scholarship for Year 7 2022 entry close at 12.00pm on Tuesday 5 October 2021.
- Applications for general registration for Year 7 2022 entry close at 12.00pm on Wednesday 3 November 2021.
- The Entrance Examination will take place on Saturday 27 November 2021 and will comprise two papers: English and Mathematics.
- We will inform parents and candidates of the initial outcomes from the Entrance Examination prior to Christmas and shortlisted candidates will be invited to take part in the second stage of the process. This will comprise an interview taking place in early January 2022. These sessions will be on a 1:1 basis and will take place in School, led by senior members of staff.
- We aim to inform all candidates of the outcome of the Entrance Exam, Scholarships and Bursaries as soon as possible. This is typically around the beginning of February.
- Successful candidates will have the opportunity to take part in one of our virtual taster sessions. These will take place after school hours in February 2022. These interactive sessions do not form part of the assessment process, but allow the girls to find out more about the Senior School by experiencing the teaching, ethos and our approach to learning. These sessions will also aid the transition into Senior School.
- As part of the admissions process, we will contact your daughter’s current school, as usual, ahead of the Entrance Examination, to request a confidential report on her academic achievements and potential.
- Parents and successful candidates will also be invited to a ‘Discover More’ event in February 2022, aimed at allowing them to discover more about the educational approach taken at Surbiton High School. Further details on this will be finalised nearer the time.
- Acceptance paperwork should be returned to the School by 12.00pm on Wednesday 3 March 2022 along with a non-refundable £1,000 deposit paid via BACS.
- Once the place has been accepted your daughter will become part of the Surbiton High School Community. Further information on induction days and forthcoming events will be sent to you to aid your daughter’s transition into the Senior School.
ENTRY INTO OTHER YEAR GROUPS – OCCASIONAL PLACES
Owing to a small number of families relocating, we occasionally have spaces that become available in other year groups. Please contact the Admissions Department to ascertain the availability in the relevant year group before applying – email@example.com. Candidates applying outside of standard entry point at 11+ are required to sit an age-appropriate English and Mathematics paper, and will have an informal interview with a member of the Senior Leadership Team.