At Surbiton High School, we have always strived to ensure a fair process for all applicants, from all backgrounds and all schools.
The Entrance Examination for September 2024 entry will take place on Saturday 25 November 2023. This is to allow for a two-part process for the Entrance Examination, with shortlisted candidates being interviewed as the second part of the process.
Our Entrance Examination tests a candidate’s ability in English and Maths. The assessments are designed to test National Curriculum content from Year 5 and the start of Year 6. The Maths paper and part of the English paper will be conducted as an online assessment taking place within the School. All pupils will be provided with an iPad to complete the assessments. There will also be a short, hand-written creative writing assessment that forms part of the English assessment.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview, which will enable us to get to know your daughter better and will consist of a short, friendly conversation with Senior School Staff, providing an opportunity to discuss candidates’ motivations for joining Surbiton High School and their wider interests and hobbies, as well as the opportunity to engage in some friendly academic discussion. Your daughter does not need to prepare for the interview. The interviews will take place at the School throughout November, December and early January.
Our key priority remains the welfare of our pupils, staff and prospective families and as such, we have compiled Maths and English guidance for pupils and parents to support registered pupils. These will be sent out once we have confirmed your registration.
ADMISSIONS PROCESS FOR 2024 ENTRY
The timeline for the Application process for Year 7 2024 entry is as follows:
- Scholarship applications and Bursary applications for Year 7 2024 entry close at 12.00pm on Wednesday 4 October 2023 and must be accompanied by a registration for your daughter at the same time.
- Applications for general registrations for Year 7 2024 entry close at 12.00pm on Thursday 2 November 2023.
- As part of the admissions process, we will contact all applicant’s current schools, as usual, ahead of the Entrance Examination, to request a confidential report on their academic achievements and potential.
- The Entrance Examination will take place on Saturday 25 November 2023. Candidates will be tested on their English and Mathematics ability.
- Shorlisted candidates will be invited to take part in the second part of the process. This will comprise an interview which will take place in School throughout November, December and early January. These sessions will be on a 1:1 basis and will take place in School, led by senior members of staff.
- We aim to inform all candidates of the outcome of the Entrance Exam, Scholarships and Bursaries as soon as possible. This is typically around the beginning of February.
- Successful candidates will have the opportunity to take part in some of our virtual taster sessions. These will take place after school hours in February 2024. These interactive sessions do not form part of the assessment process, but allow applicants to find out more about the Senior School by experiencing the teaching, ethos and our approach to learning. These sessions will also aid the transition into senior school.
- Parents and successful candidates will also be invited to a ‘Discover More’ event in February 2024, aimed at allowing them to discover more about the educational approach taken at Surbiton High School.
- Acceptance paperwork should be returned to the School by 12.00pm on Monday 4 March 2024 along with a non-refundable £1,000 deposit paid via BACS.
- Once the place has been accepted your daughter will become part of the Surbiton High School Community. Further information on induction days and forthcoming events will be sent to you to aid your daughter’s transition into the Senior School.
ENTRY INTO OTHER YEAR GROUPS – OCCASIONAL PLACES
Owing to a small number of families relocating, we occasionally have spaces that become available in other year groups. Please contact the Admissions Department to ascertain the availability in the relevant year group before applying – email@example.com. Candidates applying outside of standard entry point at 11+ are required to sit an age-appropriate English and Mathematics paper, and will have an informal interview with a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
ADMISSIONS PROCESS FOR 2025 ENTRY
The full admissions process for Year 7 2025 entry will be confirmed in the Autumn Term, 2023. However, please note the Entrance Examination date will be 23 November 2024.