In order to apply for a Netball Scholarship, candidates must be playing for, or on the waiting list for a Junior Club, or talent-spotted by a Surbiton High School member of staff.
If you feel that your daughter meets these criteria, the next stage is to complete an application and submit references and/or a portfolio, including an up-to-date photo and as much information as possible. This must include information such as:
- School level representation, competitions competed, and place achieved at Club level or representative level.
- Amount of training, ranking or awards gained.
- Referee name, role, club, email address and contact phone number for reference request, if shortlisted.
- Name of club your daughter represents and contact details for her coach.
- Sporting achievements relevant to your daughter’s sport application.
- Further information on any extra-curricular competitive sports that your daughter participates in.
- The position your daughter plays.
All videos, photos and documents should be uploaded to the Secure Transfer File, provided by the Admissions team, with the file name as your daughter’s full name and a short descriptive title (e.g. JANE SMITH, Coach Reference).
Shortlisting of Candidates
The Head of Netball will review each portfolio and, if required, will visit during school or Club level competitions to see your daughter in action. All coaches/PE teachers of shortlisted candidates will be sent a reference request link to complete – please ensure you provide accurate contact details and a valid email address of the referees in your application.
Assessment for Shortlisted Candidates
Shortlisted candidates are invited to attend an assessment session. Candidates may be asked to complete stamina and skill-based tests in isolation or in small competitive situations and engage in normal game play. Candidates will take part in a skills rotation, where they will be assessed on their attacking and defensive play and, if they are shooters, their technique and stats over a range of distances. They will then play matches and will be assessed on their game play/decision-making skills on court. Surbiton High School staff will interact with candidates on a one-to-one basis, however, a formal interview will not be conducted.
Date of Assessment for Year 7 2024 entry
- 1 to 1 sessions – TBC December 2023
- Group session – TBC January 2024